Saturday, August 29, 2015

Linda Ballou




Location: California / USA











Question:  How long have you been writing?

   All my adult life.

Question:  What was the name of the first book you ever published, and when was it published?

   Wai-nani: A Voice from Old Hawai’i. Fabled history couched in magical realism set in pre-contact Hawai’i.

Question:  Was this book published by a publisher; or did you self-publish?

   I used Star Publish LLC, which is a boutique publishing company that serves independent authors.

Question:  Tell our readers about this very first book.  (For example:  What was the inspiration for writing it, and what was it about)?

     While I was living on the north shore of Kauai a special issue in the local paper about Captain James Cook caught my attention. The fact that Captain Cook was killed in the Islands 1779' intrigued me. I wanted to know why. I was curious about what was happening in the Islands when Cook arrived.  Most accounts depict the Hawaiians as blood- thirsty savages who ganged up on the world’s greatest explorer. I learned this was not an accurate picture and felt that the Hawaiians had gotten a bum rap. I wanted to tell the story from the Hawaiian point of view.

     My research brought me to the fantastic story of Ka’ahumanu and Kamehameha the Great, the two best-loved icons in the Hawaiian history. Their wild romance spanned forty years from about 1770 to 1810 the most dynamic period in the history of the Islands. I identified with Ka’ahumanu’s spirit of adventure and rebellion. During the sixties and seventies women were breaking out. I am athletic, outdoorsy, independent woman and childless by choice. She was childless, not by choice, but she found other meaning in her life. She questioned authority and the established ways of her time. She insisted on having sexual freedom. She stood shoulder to shoulder with her warrior husband and was a source of strength for him. She was strong brave, athletic, sensuous and deeply spiritual. In short, I saw her as the forerunner of the modern woman.

Question:  Can a person still buy this book?  If so, where?

   Absolutely! It is available in e-book and print format on Amazon, as well as audio on audible.com. If you purchase "Wai-nani" on my site, I pay the freight and you get Wai-nani’s Wayfinder--a map to sacred sites on the Big Island.

Question:  How many total books have you published?

   Three. My second book "Lost Angel Walkabout" is a collection of my travel narratives. I love the outdoors and take my readers river rafting in Alaska, Utah, Idaho and Costa Rica, and horseback riding in pristine wilderness areas. Reconnecting with nature is a basic theme throughout, but there a couple of humorous tales of misguided adventures.

Question:  List all of your titles =

    My latest book, "The Cowgirl Jumped Over the Moon" is a “new adult” novel that fulfilled all of my equestrian fantasies.

Excerpt:
     When Grand Prix jumper Gemcie McCauley takes a tumble on Marshal, her Irish Hunter, it turns her world upside down. She heads for the high Sierras to find her balance and meets Brady, a solitary cowboy, who gives her the courage to get back into the saddle and beat the odds. She returns to reclaim Marshal and fly high with him once more.





Question:  Any future writing projects in the works?  If so, tell us about it, and any pertinent dates to go with it.

   I am eager to get back to traveling and writing about my adventures. I am headed to St. Croix next for an Equestrian Wellness Week. Full report to follow on my site: www.LindaBallouAuthor.com where I have a host of travel articles.

Question:  What is the title of your current book, and tell us a little about it.

  Not working on books now. Taking a breather from demanding projects. Off to collect more stories.

Last question, if someone comes across this article and reads it, what would you like to tell them about why you think they should try reading your book or books?

     The common thread in all my work is that they are destination pieces. "Wai-nani" takes you to ancient Hawai’i, a place you can’t get to any other way. My travel collection is armchair travel you can enjoy without tipping your canoe or parting from your saddle. Cowgirl takes you to the high Sierra’s to trail solo in the John Muir Wilderness. My theme song is “Let Me Take you There!”

Anything else you'd like to add that I didn't ask you, but you would like to share with our readers? 

Stop by and see me at www.LindaBallouAuthor.com


Sign on to my blog and receive the latest travel articles, my thoughts, and news about events coming up.


Thanks for the opportunity to share my work.

BLOG WRITER'S NOTE TO AUTHOR:  I always like reading books about other places when I know the author has physically visited there.  I feel that a personal touch on a location brings most books to life, whereas authors who don't do this somehow miss the mark of their location and culture.  I'll definitely check out your books, and thanks for the interview.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! If you do enjoy any of my books, I always appreciate peer reviews on Amazon and Good Reads! Thank you for the nice presentation here on your site!
    Warm regards,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete